RE: RC4 license

Does this response address the issue of RC2 and RC4????

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-imc-sfl@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-imc-sfl@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Pawling, John
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 2:13 PM
To: 'Bob Smith'; imc-sfl@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: RC4 license

Bob,

The SFL_README.TXT file that accompanies the v1.7 SFL source code states:

4) smR17CTI.zip:  Source code for the following CTILs: Test (no
crypto), Crypto++, BSAFE, Fortezza, SPEX/ and PKCS #11.  The
Win95/98/NT/2000 projects are also included.  (NOTE: The Free (a.k.a.
Crypto++) CTIL includes WGSI-developed source code to use the RSA
public key algorithm implemented within the external Crypto++ library.
As with all of the external crypto token libraries, the Crypto++
library is not distributed as part of the SFL source code.  To use the
Crypto++ library with the SFL, the application developer must
independently obtain the Crypto++ library from the Crypto++ Web Page
<http://www.eskimo.com/~weidai/cryptlib.html> and then compile it with
the WGSI-developed Crypto++ CTIL source code.  The RSA public key
algorithm is covered by U.S. Patent 4,405,829 "Cryptographic
Communication System and Method".  Within the U.S., users of the RSA
public key algorithm provided by the external Crypto++ library must
obtain a license from RSA granting them permission to use the RSA
algorithm.)

I have been told by reliable sources that Patent 4,405,829 expires on 20
September 2000.

John Pawling, john.pawling@xxxxxxxx
Wang Government Services, Inc.,
A Getronics Company