RE: Scattered questions

Marco:

- The Guide manual sort-of describes the "auto_hi.exe" and config file use
(available at the web site, or I can send you a copy).  This test program is
a unit development test program; very low-level.  The only way to figure
them out is to pick a representative config file for what you wish to
execute (e.g. Sign a message) and read the associated "Fill()" method to
figure out the associated keywords (e.g. CM_MsgToSign::Fill(), is
./SMIME/testsrc/util/sm_CLMsgToSign.cpp).  We have no documentation (other
than that in the Guide) for the keywords, they are different between major
modules due to different authors.  The keywords should be somewhat
straightforward and match the actual data structure to be loaded (e.g.
SignedData elements).  Our objective was not to provide an application
usable interface with the test logic, but to test and demonstrate the
library usage (see the "Check()" methods for encrypt, decrypt, sign, and
verify).

As to the CTIL input BuildArgs; this should be described by each individual
CTIL since the input is customized to the appropriate Private Key storage
mechanism (i.e. Fortezza or smart cards need a pin, RSA only needs a PKCS8
file or PKCS12 password protected file).  I would suggest that you avoid the
address book ("free_ab.dat") input choice; it will be removed in the near
future in favor of the PKCS12 only input.  I would suggest that you look at
the INIT function of the CTIL of interest.  Since we only have 6 CTILs, the
parameters are consistent.  The FREE3 CTIL is the most developed (since it
is free), it has the most features.  The recommended BuildArgs parameter is:

	sm_free3DLL PKCS12_PasswordProtectedFileExample.pdf
PASSWORD_ToThePkcs12File sm_free3DLL

The CTIL file would be "sm_free3DLL.dll".  There is a CTIL API manual.

- Sorry about the Mozilla binary issue; we have not publicly announced we
have Mozilla references yet, it is still being developed.  I have included
our binaries in this e-mail; we will be posting this file on our web site
for future use.  The name is "SMPDistMOZWin5.tar.gz"; it needs to be
unzipped into the same root directory containing the SMIME and SMPDist
directories (it will dump the binary resutlts into the SMPDist/mozilla
directory automatically).  You can disable the MIME Decoding by removing the
"MIMEMOZ_INCLUDED" define for the project and all Mozilla libraries.  The
MIME decoding makes the program MUCH more useful!!!!  I use it all of the
time for diagnostics.

- I believe the sm_TestDLL sources are still delivered, simply removed from
the main project space for clarity.  You are the first to mention them (or
even look for them).  This CTIL performs no crypto services, it simply
provides a buildable CTIL interface.  If you include it into the project, it
should build fine (my newest version still builds, your's should also).

- "SM_pkcs11Free3DLL" was our newest creation to demonstrate how a potention
CTIL builder could encapsulate one of our CTILs (again sm_free3DLL was
chosen since it is free) and add further functionality, specific to the
desired application, but retain much of our existing work (e.g. keep our
digest, signature, encrypt and decrypt support functionality, even perhaps
the private key processing).  You would need the sm_free3 Crypto++ library
and any of the PKCS11 libraries we support (listed in the alg_libs/sm_pkcs11
readme file; none of these are free).  There are no tests demonstrating its
use, since none of our test platforms have a PKCS11 library (only the
author's PC worked for this CTIL).  To test, we simply use some of the
sm_free3DLL CTIL test cases, with this login, "SM_pkcs11Free3DLL.dll" and
the PKCS11 smart card login pin.  The test cases are only aware of which
CTIL performs the processing if a private key is specified (by DN, or card
slot).  If you have one of the supported PKCS11 libraries, I can help you
setup a proper login script (few lines of text).

Bob Colestock
<snip>