How to make an app using sfl smaller?

We are trying to get our application using SFL onto an embedded linux
platform. The standard build causes problems with the sheer number of very
general purpose shared libraries generated/used. While we can get the
application proper to statically link, and this helps, the free3 ctil has
many of the same dependencies. Is is possible to statically link the CTIL
rather than dynamically loading it?
Our only other alternative is to try to prune the libraries so that they
contain only the objects that are actually referenced. This is a non-trivial
process to do manually. Does anyone know of a utility that will do this?
Any other suggestions (other than more Flash...)?

Darryl Green
Project Manager, Realtime Systems
TAB Queensland Limited