Termination of SFL/CML/ACL/eSNACC Support

All,

Our US Government sponsor has notified DigitalNet that funding for our
enhancement and support of the SFL, CML, ACL and eSNACC will be terminated
on 30 September 2004.

DigitalNet is currently enhancing and supporting the following open source,
freeware security libraries:

Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Freeware Library
(SFL):
  . Implements IETF S/MIME v3 Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
	security protocol
  . Provides S/MIME Enhanced Security Services (ESS): Security labels,
	signed receipts, mail list support

Certificate Management Library (CML):
  . Validates X.509 certification paths & Certificate Revocation Lists (CRL)
  . Provides remote directory retrieval via Lightweight Directory Access
       Protocol (LDAP)
  . Supports organizations that need to interoperate using PKI

Enhanced SNACC (eSNACC) Abstract Syntax Notation One (ASN.1):
  . Implements Distinguished, Basic, and Packed Encoding Rules
  . Provides limited XML capabilities

Access Control Library (ACL):
  • Provides Rule Based Access Control using security labels &
	authorizations as per SDN.801
  . Processes X.509 Attribute Certificates and X.509 public key certificates

See http://www.DigitalNet.com/knowledge/sec_libraries.htm for further
information regarding the SFL, CML, ACL and eSNACC freeware libraries.

There is still a significant amount of valuable work that needs to be
performed to enhance the SFL, CML, ACL and eSNACC.  For example, the CML
needs to be enhanced to support On-Line Certificate Status Protocol (OCSP).

If you believe that the aforementioned software and the capabilities it
provides should be supported beyond 30 September 2004, please send a message
to me stating your support for the continuation of our work.  If possible,
please indicate the program that will be impacted if our support is
terminated.  I will forward this information to our US Government sponsor
with the goal of convincing the US Government to continue our support beyond
30 September 2004.

Also, if you are aware of any available funding that could be applied to
continue our support, please inform me.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

John Pawling, DigitalNet
Manager, Secure Systems Engineering