Which "Standard"?

I've just been reviewing the latest Internet Calendaring and Scheduling
Core Object Specification (iCalendar) from the IETF.

Specifically, the Repeat and Exclude Rules have a grammar that's quite
different then vCalendar. Gone are the MP and replaced by BYPOS; MONTHLY
definitions as well as others that have changed around.

So, as a developer, which specification should we be developing for? It
looks like that vCalendar is dying in favor of iCalendar. I thought that
vCalendar was to be the interchange format or have I been too busy
developing for it and not paying attention?

Alan Johnson
Fusion Software, Inc.