Re: vCard3.0 and vCal2.0

> The vCard 3 spec says to use the MIME Content header to specify the
> encoding. You can use any supported encoding you like. It really
> only describes vCards embedded in MIME e-mail messages. There is no
> defined file format (or clipboard/pasteboard format, for that
> matter), and so there is no defined way to indicate the encoding in
> a file, unfortunately.

Great, so it's another case of being so flexible as to be way too ambiguous?

MIME does allow indication of what charset as well as language are applicable to
the content within the section.  It's not, unfortunately, a well understood
mechanism (and even more poorly implemented).

The real bottom line is that unless the programmers can predictably detect and
process what's stuffed into a MIME type then all this "flexibility" is going to
be more trouble than it's worth.  Especially when one is faced with having to
adapt to using possibly *dozens* of character encoding schemes.  It's puzzling
why more developers don't put the time into using more robust charsets like
UTF-8 or UTF-16 and instead cling desperately to some variant of SO-8859.  And
don't get me started on the idiocy of using HTML entity encodings, ugh.

Hmmm, messy stuff indeed.

-Bill Kearney